Monday, June 17, 2013

Hello Everyone!
   How are you all doing? I hope everyone is great! We had a pretty interesting week last week. Let me tell you about some of the more interesting bits.
   Last Monday we had Zone P-day down at the beach in Shonandai and did a sports day. Well, I say sports day, but the only two sports we played were rugby (touch of course) and sand volley ball. It was a lot of fun! But, unfortunately, almost nobody walked away without some pretty good sunburns. Everyone had tan lines on their necks from their collars, which is an instant recipe for disaster when you spend several hours at the beach with a t-shirt on. It was well worth it though.
   Tuesday we went to a funeral. That makes two on my mission, when most missionaries I know out here in Tokyo have never even been to one. However, unlike last time which was a Buddhist funeral, this time it was a church member who passed away, so it was very different. It was a great opportunity though. The man who passed away has a daughter who is a member, and she and her family are very active and strong in the church. He has another daughter who is not a member, and neither is her family. After the service though, both the daughter who's not a member and her husband (who had never attended any funerals other than Buddhist ones), commented that they really liked the service, and there was a really warm hopeful atmosphere. Maybe they'll start investigating the church. We'll see.
   Sunday we had a pretty cool experience. So Elder Hoshino and I are at the Hon-Atsugi train station handing out flyers. After we finished that, we walked over to a less active member's apartment to try visiting him, and then back to our apartment to wrap up the day. We swung by the church on the way home to grab some juice out of the fridge that a member had given us but we forgot to take home. We actually ended up not being able to find it. Either the member forgot to put it there, or somebody took it by mistake. Either way, we weren't too upset about the loss. We left the church and headed back to our apartment. We got out to the main road and had only gone about 50 yards down it, when we saw a guy on the opposite side of the street that Elder Hoshino had talked to at the train station while we were handing out fliers. We tried waving to him, but he didn't see us. He had one of our fliers in his hand, and it looked like he was trying to follow the map and get to the church. We watched him for a minute, and when we saw him wait to cross the road and make the turn for the church, we knew he was definitely looking for it. We immediately went back to the church using a different route through the neighborhood, and we ended up walking up to the church just as the guy came around the corner. He was just a little surprised to see us there. We ended up showing him the inside of the church and we traded phone numbers. Talk about perfect timing, right? And if we hadn't gone to pick up the juice that wasn't actually there, we wouldn't have seen him anyway. Pretty cool stuff. God is definitely directing this work.
   Well, that's about it for now. Next week I'll be able to tell you if I'm going to end up in the Tokyo or Tokyo South mission. We'll see what happens. Until next time! Take care!

Elder Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment