Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Well, one more week down at the mtc, and it's been an interesting one for sure. Just another couple days, and we'll have been here longer than a majority of missionaries ever will be. The MTC is infamous for giving missionaries and extra 10 pounds or more during their stay here, and I can proudly say that if I was only here for 4 weeks I would have escaped without gaining any weight. but, seeing as how I'm not even half way through my stay here, we'll have to see if that's still true by the end of 11 weeks.
It's really hard to decide what to say. Everything is just kinda blurring together, and I can't remember if things happened in this last week or if it was a couple weeks ago. I can say that things are going well though, and I can't believe I've already been gone for nearly a month. It really seems like I just got here last week. But then I think that I have to be here for another month and a half and I wish I was already in Japan. It'll happen soon enough though. if the next few weeks are anything like the last couple, I'll be in Japan before I know it's hit me.
We're all starting to show signs of insanity though. I'm not entirely sure if it's from being in the MTC, or because we were all crazy before we came here anyway. The other night we had some extra free time in our rooms after gym, so there were about 8 elders in our room, and we spent almost an hour singing disney songs and quoting movies. Elder Metsatati, one of the elders in my district, is from finland, and quite the artist. He drew me a funny little cartoon musasabi, which is Japanese for flying squirrel. Our district has pretty much adopted flying squirrels as our mascot, simply because we find it hilarious that flying squirrel would be included in a japanese to english dictionary written specifially for missionaries, and we have yet to come up with a valid reason that a missionary would need to know how to say "flying squirrel". I also ended up getting to practice massage a little bit this week. One of the elders was complaining about his back being stiff and sore, and asked if I could work it out for him after he found out that I know a little bit of massage. I guess he was really happy with the results, because he ended up telling everyone about it, and I've had a few missionaries ask if they can get one. Hopefully it stays to just a couple people though, because I don't have time to be giving out massages all day. Oh! and speaking of crazy missionaries, Mellisa Nyuyen (sorry, I probably butchered your last name. can you forgive me?), if you're somewhere out there reading this, I want you to know that I've gotten several elders in my district to start saying "Pika" before they sneeze. If any of you guys know Mellissa, could you make sure to pass that peice of information along just to make sure she hears about it? thanks!
On the days that we have gym in the afternoon and we can go to the field, my companion and I usually go play soccer since he played soccer in highschool The group of missionaries going on spanish speaking missionaries that we share gym time with got a new batch of missionaries this last week, and there were about 6 of the new missionaries that play soccer, so our games of soccer ended up going from mildly competetive to fairly intense since they're all pretty good a the game. It's actually been really fun. Considering I haven't played since I was about 10, I'm actually holding my own fairly well. Then again, using jujitsu during a game might be a slightly unfair advantage... but there's no rule against using your hip to bump someone and steal the ball, right? Right. haha! So yeah. I'm finding small ways to keep up on my training. What's always really funny is when I'll be learning japanese, and stumble across a phrase that I can understand that nobody else does because of a word I learned in jujitsu, like imon, which is a breastplate. Everyone asks how I know such random words, and all I can do is just laugh a little bit, and shake my head.
Other than that, things have been going fairly normal. Well, as normal as they can be at the MTC anyway. I've been learning alot, and really had to stretch. It's been good though. I'm really excited to see what crazy things we end up doing this week. At this point, nothing would really surprise me

No comments:

Post a Comment