Monday, July 30, 2012

well, it's been another exciting week here in Japan. We're still working with the same people as before, and staying busy teaching them and helping them out. The members in this area are great. They're always trying to find ways to help out the missionaries, and are more than wiling to try to help out when we ask. One of the members in our ward, Brother Seya, actually just returned from his mission just a little while ago, so he's been a great help. I also actually found out that Brother Honda in our ward is brothers with the two Honda Brothers that were at the MTC with me. That means I now know 3 out of the 4 Honda brothers in this particular family. How cool is that? Oh, and to make the world even smaller (as it seems to happen every week), I forgot the mention last week that when I was upacking all my bags when I first got here, I found a picture of Clark Sensei and one of his companions in one of my dresser drawers. I don't know if he left it, or if his companion in the picture left it, but I definitely wasn't expecting to find a picture of Clark Sensei in my apartment. Crazy.
It would seem that I arrived in Japan at quiet the eventful time. Just this last weekend was the Yamato City Summer Matsuri. Saturday Elder Christensen and I had lunch with one of the families in our ward, after which we went and tried to visit one of our investigators. He was busy, so we ended up just visiting for a few minutes instead of teaching the lesson we had planned. Afterwards we did some street contacting, and later in the evening we had the opportunity to go to the Matsuri. It was pretty fun. There were several areas with stages set up and groups doing traditional japanese dances. Of course, there was lots of food for sale too. We ended up meeting with a member and went around the matsuri for a while with them. While we were there we were able to talk with lots of people, which should come as no surprise since there were people everywhere. A few of the people we talked to at the Matsuri may start coming to Englih class, but we'll have to wait and see if they come. All in all though, it was a fun experience.
Sunday was a pretty busy day as well. After church we had a few appointments, and after those were finished we still had a few hours left before dinner with a member family. So we went back to the Matsuri and tried contacting people there. We were able to talk with quite a few people, and hopefully we were able to build a stronger relationship between the church and the community as well. When we finally headed over to the member's house for dinner, we ended up finding a street along the way that was nothing but shops. Nothing too special about that, right? Well, in Japan, it's fairly common to have metal garage style doors at the fronts of shops other small buildings. Every single shop on this street that was already closed and had their shop front closed up, had these full murals painted across their entire door. It was way cool. You never know what you'll find next here in Tokyo.
Well, that's about it for now! More to come next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment